In this blog, you will learn different ways and steps to easily add hyperlinks into PowerPoint slides.
A hyperlink is a powerful tool in PowerPoint. You can add a hyperlink to a PowerPoint presentation to swiftly and seamlessly direct viewers to related information on the web.
You can quickly redirect the viewers to an alternate slide or immediately set about composing an email letter. However, most people are not exactly sure how to use hyperlinks in PowerPoint presentations.
You need to take extra steps to make your presentation one that people will want to watch.
You must ensure that you communicate the information clearly through the visuals on the screen. You also have to make this information easily discoverable by including hyperlinks now and then.
This blog will discuss the different aspects of hyperlinking and how you can add a hyperlink to a PowerPoint presentation.
List of things you can hyperlink in a PowerPoint presentation
There are many options besides text and images that you can use to add a hyperlink to a PowerPoint presentation.
- When you click on the frame of a text box to hyperlink, you can select everything around it. The link text will appear in an underlined blue color and be clickable.
- You can hyperlink any shape or group of shapes. To do that, click and hold on the frame of a shape. If you select any text within the shape to hyperlink, it’ll not appear underlined or colored.
- If you select the text within a shape, then the shape won’t be clickable. You’ll see the text underlined and colored.
- You can use any smart object or a group of smart objects to hyperlink. Select the smart object to hyperlinking it.
- You can use the text within any smart object as a hyperlink. If you want to do that, you need to click the area outside the smart object. There, you’ll see the text underlined and colored.
- You can hyperlink any picture used in a PowerPoint presentation. You can use the images to illustrate textual ideas. You can also use them to create custom buttons using PowerPoint templates.
Things to keep in mind while you add a hyperlink to a PowerPoint presentation
To help you get the most out of PowerPoint, here are some things to remember when you add a hyperlink to a PowerPoint presentation.
- Choose an appropriate topic or point. It would help if you chose something relevant to the audience. Otherwise, it will be difficult for them to understand what you’re talking about.
- Make sure that your text is easy to read. If it’s hard to read, it will be just as hard for people to follow your links.
- Use bulleted lists whenever possible. They’re easier to follow than other types of lists, such as numbered lists or ordered lists.
- Keep your text short and sweet. Rather than writing long paragraphs of text, try breaking up big ideas into smaller chunks that readers can easily understand.
- Another thing you need to remember about the content you put into your slides is that you can’t hyperlink all the items. You can’t hyperlink PowerPoint objects such as videos and graphs.
Pros and cons of adding hyperlinks to PowerPoint presentations
- It is a great way to add information to your slides.
- It helps with branding and linking back to your website, blog, or social media profiles.
- A hyperlink will increase your website’s traffic. Suppose a particular topic takes center stage in your research paper. Then, hyperlinks can help attract more people interested in that topic.
- It makes the presentation more interactive and engaging for your audience.
- There is no doubt that hyperlinks can give your presentation a professional appearance. However, they can also add clutter and distract from the presentation’s content.
- Some people may think that it is too technical for them and they don’t want to learn about how it works, so they just skip over it.
- Adding hyperlinks may clutter your slides with extra text boxes not used for informational purposes.
- It can be inconvenient for your audience if they do not have access to a computer or other device with a linkable browser.
Steps to Add a Hyperlink to a PowerPoint Presentation
You can connect your presentation to a document on your computer. For example, it may be a particular slide in another presentation or even another presentation itself.
Also, when saving your presentation that you plan to publish online, make sure you convert all connected files to the online format. This will help you have a web page rather than a source file.
Here are the steps to understand how to use normal text to add a hyperlink to a PowerPoint presentation.
Step 1: Select the text you want to hyperlink in the PowerPoint presentation.
Step 2: Go to Insert > Link. A new window will appear that you’ll use to add the link.
Step 3: Copy the link you want to add as a hyperlink. Paste it in the address bar present at the bottom of the Link window. Then, press “OK.”
How to add another slide as a hyperlink
Firstly, follow the above-mentioned steps and open the “Link” tab to add a hyperlink to another slide. Now, follow the steps given below.
Step 1: In the “Link” window, click on “Place in This Document.” Choose the slide that you want to show as the destination when you click on the text.
Step 2: Click “OK” to continue.
Follow the steps above to add a hyperlink to an online video hosted on a video hosting website such as YouTube or Vimeo. However, there’s also an easy way to insert an online video directly into your Keynote presentation. It’ll let you play back the presentation without having to open and play it inside of the browser.
If you are creating a custom slideshow (a certain sequence of slides), and you want to connect your object with it. You can click on Custom Shows in the left-hand menu. Here, tick the “Show and Return” check box.
How to add another slide as a hyperlink
When you use a new document to add a hyperlink to a PowerPoint presentation, you can present it in a web browser online. Here’s how you can add a new document as a hyperlink.
Step 1: Click on “Insert” and open the “Link” tab. Then, select “Create a new document.”
Step 2: Enter the name of the document. Also, the PowerPoint presentation creates a new document in the same folder as the source file. But, you can change the location of the new document. Click on “Change” under “Full Path”, select the desired folder and click OK.
Step 3: Under “When to edit,” you can either select “Edit the new document later” or “Edit the new document now”. After choosing the option, click OK.
How to add a hyperlink to an email address
PowerPoint recognizes the email addresses and links as you type them. Here’s how you can attach an email using hyperlinks in PowerPoint.
Step 1: Open the “Link tab” and select the “E-mail” address option.
Step 2: Type the desired email address in the email address box. Though it is optional, you can choose an appropriate subject line for your email message. Then, click OK to complete the process.
That’s it. See how simple it was to add a hyperlink to a PowerPoint presentation. Just follow these steps and you will be good to go.
Graphy, the online course creation, and selling platform
If you are looking to create your online course and sell it with minimum effort and easy-to-use features, then Graphy is the best place for you. Graphy has thousands of active content creators who have created their own online courses and monetized their skills. You can also do the same, and the best thing is that you can start for free.
Graphy offers a load of features that will definitely add stars to your success, features like:
- Branded website and mobile app
- Advanced-level marketing and sales tools and features
- Multi-layer content security
- Rich multimedia
- 24*7 customer support
- Customizable landing/sales pages
- Personalized course completion certificates for your learners
- Integrated payment gateways and country-specific pricing
Isn’t it amazing?
So join Graphy, just like 40,000+ creators.