Teaching is a profession with a deep meaning and purpose. It is impossible to adequately express exactly the sort of influence instructors have on the next generation. Given its many facets and complexity, it can be said to be among the world’s most challenging occupations. Dedication, passion, and enthusiasm are necessary for teaching. Of course, effort and commitment are required in every career, but educators have the additional burden of influencing future generations.
It’s a common misconception that education is a simple profession. Teaching is a difficult profession since every child is unique and needs a different set of teaching methods and tactics to assure that they learn.
So without wasting much time, let’s get into the level of teaching.
3 levels of teaching
There are basically 3 levels of teaching, and those are:
- Memory level
- Understanding level
- Reflective level.
So with the above levels of teaching, let’s begin with the first one, which is the memory level.
As the name implies, the memory level of teaching is a level of instruction where the goal is to only convey textbook information and force the learners to recall it instead of studying it in-depth. This is not the ideal method. For instance, memorizing the multiplication table without comprehending the concept is an illustration of teaching at the memory level. It’s not always optimal to learn things by memorization.
Objectives of memory level teaching
- The sole goal of teaching at the memory level is to transfer information and knowledge about the topic to the learners.
- This information is factual in nature and was obtained through rote learning and memorization.
The advantage of the memory level of teaching
- Young learners can benefit from it.
- For those who learn slowly.
- Beneficial for learners to practice a new topic.
- The foundation for comprehending teaching at the reflective level.
The disadvantage of the memory level of teaching
- Not advantageous for the higher classes.
- Control of the teacher.
- Loss of memory and learning and retention of knowledge.
- In the classroom, there is little interaction.
- The difficulty in controlling the class.
- There is no opportunity for self-learning for students.
Understanding level teaching is a more deliberate teaching method where learners relate to the ideas and, as the name says, comprehend the material. The students examine the ideas and put together the facts and other ideas related to them based on their prior knowledge and degree of understanding. In this procedure, both teachers and learners participate equally, and professors employ identical teaching techniques such as discussions, lectures, and explanations. The setting in the classroom is welcoming and interesting.
Objectives of understanding levels of teaching
According to The Bloom Taxonomy of Educational Objectives, published in 1956
- Translation, interpretation, and extrapolation are the three components of the understanding objective.
- Application goals: Effective application of thorough knowledge in a variety of alike and dissimilar contexts.
The Bloom revised Taxonomy claims
Objectives for understanding: These relate to the comprehension of the educational message, which may be oral, written, pictorial, etc. Through
- Comparison, and
- Explanation, among other techniques.
Application goals comprise the following:
- The usage of the appropriate method when carrying out implementation.
- The application of broad guidelines or concepts to real-world circumstances.
- The learner becomes fully conversant with the concepts behind the facts as well as their applications.
The advantages of understanding levels of teaching
- Students are encouraged to employ their critical thinking skills at this level of instruction.
- This level of knowledge serves as the foundation for learning at the reflective level.
- Here, the educator provides the learners with a structured, sequential presentation of the material. The recently gained knowledge is connected to the previously acquired knowledge.
- Learners in this setting do not learn by rote. Here, students gain knowledge through comprehending the information’s facts, applications, and goals.
The disadvantages of understanding levels of teaching
- Disregard greater levels of intelligence.
- Diminished importance of intrinsic motivation.
- No individual education
- Focus on the teacher.
- This level of instruction is subject-centered. At this level, there really is no engagement between both the teacher and the learners.
- Mastery of this kind of instruction is emphasized.
Reflective level of understanding
The introspective level of teaching is another name for the reflective level. This is regarded as the pinnacle of teaching and learning. This is mainly because of the fact that instruction continues even after learners fully grasp a concept. It goes further comprehension and calls on learners to consider whatever they have learned or comprehended.
The objective of reflective levels of teaching
- To provide students with new perspectives on how to approach difficulties.
- To help the pupils cultivate logical and critical thinking.
- To help learners become more capable of independent thought and decision-making.
The advantages of the reflective levels of teaching
- At this phase, the focus of instruction is on the learner, not the teacher or the content.
- At the reflective level of instruction, there is communication between the teacher and the students.
- Teaching at this stage is best left to the more advanced students.
- Teaching at this stage is much more considerate and beneficial than learning at the memory or comprehension level.
The disadvantages of the reflective level of teaching
- Insufficient for the lower classes.
- A procedure that takes a long time.
- Unfit for an Indian classroom.
- Not appropriate for students who are dull.
- The stress is on the educators.
You can infer that these were the three teaching levels. The most advantageous degree of instruction is reflective.
To wrap it up
As already indicated, the top level of teaching is reflective. Conversely, there are specific circumstances where teaching at the memory level is advantageous. Based on the concepts and the difficulty of the material, the instructor must choose the appropriate level of instruction. Depending on the circumstances, an educator assumes several duties in a classroom. The various responsibilities that teachers play and how they affect classroom management have been covered in detail.
Grow your online teaching business on Graphy
If you planning to establish your career in online teaching, then Graphy is the one. Graphy gives you complete control of your course, earnings, and identity. Graphy offers you a white-labeled website and mobile app regardless of the plan that you choose.
With advanced marketing and sales tools and techniques, Graphy lets you reach and target every corner of the globe.
Despite this, if you are stuck at any point with Graphy’s robust 24*7 customer support, you can reach out via phone, text, or email.
With multiple integrations and multilayer content security, you can completely rely on and grow your career as an online creator securely.